Nominations for Life Sciences Seminar Series
Committee of the series would like to encourage you to nominate speakers for MU LSS series: autumn 2019 / spring 2020.
Who can be a suitable candidate? For example any of the following:
- Leader of your field
- Somebody who inspired you by a talk at the international meeting
- Person who changes paradigm by combining various approaches
- Scientist who recently published breakthrough results in the top tier journals
- Pioneer of your field
- Somebody you always wanted to meet but was shy to ask
- Respected colleague with whom you consider to collaborate
For an example of the quality and topics of the previous speakers you can go to our web pages. Please indicate clearly if you want to have your nominee considered only for Mendel Lectures.
Please note, that if your nomination is selected by the Committee and speaker accepts to come to Brno, then your assistance during the guest´s visit is expected (see below). The Seminar Series will fully cover accommodation per 2 nights and travel costs including per diems of selected speakers.
You can send the nominations to email@example.com.
Thank you very much for your cooperation and we are looking forward to receive your nominations!
- Vítězslav Bryja, Faculty of Science - firstname.lastname@example.org, MU Life Science Seminar Series coordinator
- Jiří Damborský, Loschmidt Chair, ICRC and Faculty of Science MU - email@example.com
- Lumír Krejčí, ICRC and Faculty of Medicine - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary O´Connell, ERA Chair, Molecular Medicine, CEITEC MU - email@example.com
- Stanislav Pekár, Dept. of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science MU - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karel Říha, Genomics and Proteomics of Plant Systems, CEITEC MU - email@example.com
- Vladimír Sklenář, Structural Biology, CEITEC MU and Faculty of Science - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ondřej Slabý, Centre for Molecular Medicine, CEITEC MU - email@example.com
Lucie Nesvadbová, Faculty of Science - firstname.lastname@example.org
How are the speakers selected?
Nominated speakers are divided into 5 categories according to interest of their research:
- "green biology", ecology, population biology,
- biochemistry, structural biology, computational biology, biophysics,
- medicine, neurosciences,
- experimental plant biology,
- cell biology, developmental biology, molecular biology, genetics
Then the committee members select 10 nominated speakers, at least one candidate from each category, thus ensuring a thematically diverse program for the given semester.
The resulting speakers are those
(i) who have earned the highest number of votes in the given category, supplemented by
(ii) the second in the given category, sorted by the number of votes.
You can discuss and support your nominees with the committee members - it is even recommended; the fact that a nominee can establish / deepen mutual cooperation with MU is taken as a positive factor.
If your nominee is not selected for the upcoming semester, we will keep him/her in our list of nominations for next semesters. Usually once a year we check and ask the hosts whether their nominations in our list are still relevant.
"Host to do list"
Your assistance during the guest´s visit is expected as specified below:
- send out invitation to the guest (text will be provided by MU LSS Committee)
- pick the speaker in the hotel, follow him/her to lunch and dinner
- contact PIs interested in meeting with the speaker and create an itinerary
- help with organization of lunch with students (attendance is not required)
- introduce the speaker before his/her talk
- moderate the discussion after the talk
- organize dinner with the guest